EASTERN AMERICAN DIOCESE: May 13, 2021
On Thomas Sunday, Metropolitan Hilarion celebrates Liturgy, performs Priestly Ordination at Novo-Diveevo Convent
On May 9, the 2nd Sunday of Pascha, dedicated to the Holy Apostle Thomas, His Eminence Hilarion, Metropolitan of Eastern America & New York, celebrated Divine Liturgy in St. Seraphim Cathedral of Holy Dormition Convent "Novo-Diveevo" in Nanuet, NY.
Concelebrating with His Eminence were:
- Archbishop Gabriel of Montreal & Canada
- Bishop Nicholas of Manhattan
- Archpriest Alexander Fedorowski (cathedral dean)
- Archpriest Elias Gorsky (rector of Holy Virgin Protection Church in Nyack, NY)
- Archpriest Mark Burachek (rector of Our Lady of Kazan Church in Newark, NJ)
- Archpriest Michael Crowley (rector of St. Xenia Church in Methuen, MA)
- Priest Artem Siss (convent cleric)
- Protodeacon Serge Arlievsky (convent cleric)
- Protodeacon Eugene Kallaur (cleric of St. Seraphim Memorial Church in Sea Cliff, NY)
- Deacon Andrei Psarev (cleric of Holy Trinity Monastery in Jordanville, NY)
- Hierodeacon Panteleimon (Jigalin; convent clerics)
- Deacon Nicholas Ilyin (convent cleric), and
- Deacon Alexei Klar (convent cleric).
Together with the believers, Abbess Makaria, rectress of Novo-Diveevo Convent, prayed at the divine service with the sisters.
The liturgical chants were performed by the greater Novo-Diveevo choir under the direction of John Arlievsky, Fr. Serge’s son, under the watchful eye of longtime choir conductor Matushka Maria Fedorowski.
Convent parishioners and faithful from nearby parishes came to pray at the divine service, observing all required sanitary guidelines. Most worshippers in the temple confessed and communed of Christ’s Holy Mysteries.
After the Great Entrance, Metropolitan Hilarion ordained Deacon Alexei Klar to the priesthood. The newly ordained Priest Alexei will fulfill his obedience at Novo-Diveevo Convent.
Upon conclusion of the festal Liturgy, Archbishop Gabriel greeted Fr. Alexei, congratulating him on his ordination. His Eminence noted that it was at his hands that "Alyosha" was tonsured a reader and ordained a subdeacon, while Bishop Nicholas ordained him a deacon, and how pleased both hierarchs were to be in attendance at this next step in his service to the Church. Archbishop Gabriel wished Fr. Alexei many long years of life and service to the convent and the whole Orthodox Church.
After the service, the hierarchs and clergy went in procession to the convent cemetery, where a general panihida was served for all of the departed hierarchs, monastics, and Orthodox Christians buried at Novo-Diveevo.
Clergy were invited to a small luncheon in honor of Fr. Alexei, who will serve his forty days at the convent.
The beautiful weather gladdened believers who came to pray for the repose of their loved ones at the cemetery and sharing with them the joy of Christ’s Resurrection. Memorial services at the graves were served by local clergy.